Thursday, July 29, 2010

Coraline Calling


I wanted to catch the stop-motion animated film Coraline on the big screen when it was shown, but I missed it due to my work schedule. A year later I was able to watch it on cable.

As I expected, Coraline's story somehow reflects my own sensibilities:
- We both feel we belong some place else.
- People always get our names wrong the first time.
- We are both determined -- the silent kind of determination.
- We both yearn for beautiful things.
- We also know when to retreat from a sordid situation.
- She's got blue hair. I love the color blue.

Coraline reminds me of an old Alice In Wonderland movie that I got to see as a kid. Perhaps, Coraline just has an extra morbidity that keeps it more off-center. Or maybe it's the ghostly apparition in the movie that makes it more appealing to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment